Monday, December 9, 2013

Blog 15- Interview with Student



Participant Z:  hey i'm here
 Sent at 1:29 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to do this interview and for participating!
 Participant Z:  np!
 me:  To start, I would like to ask you some general information. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
 Sent at 1:30 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  I'm 29 years old, studying to be a k-5 bilingual education teacher. I am mexican but have been living in NJ since I was 6. I worked as a paralegal for 5 years before deciding to go back to school and be a teacher
 Sent at 1:31 PM on Wednesday
 me:  That's great- welcome back! What inspired you to come back to school?
 Sent at 1:32 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  I wanted to become teacher. My job as a paralegal was not rewarding although I was confortable financially
 Sent at 1:33 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Well, I'm glad you chose the route that would be most comfortable to you, and I'm sure you will be a great teacher! You said you've lived here since you were 6. How was life in Mexico and how would your upbringing was?
 Sent at 1:35 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  I went to private schools. Both of my parents were teachers there. (comes from a family of teachers) I had a normal childhood, nothing different than here
 me:  Was it difficult for you to come here at age 6 with the cultural difference? (assumption on my end that it would perhaps be difficult)
 Sent at 1:39 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  Ummm not really. I knew some english and I was placed in a bilingual classroom. The teacher taught half in spanish and half in english from what I remember. It wasn't like I couldn't speak with anymore. I think it was a smooth transition.
 me:  That's wonderful! How were your teachers throughout Elementary school?
 Sent at 1:41 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  I liked some better than others. I did not like my 2nd grade teacher at all. Looking back, I did learn a lot from her because she was militant (despite feelings-tried to make a positive comment about her) but I always had the feeling that she did not like me (what provoked these feelings?). I later found out that she did not want me in her classroom (how were assumptions of teacher “not liking her” confirmed/found out?)  and had suggested i'd be put in the 1st level bilinugal class (assumption on teachers end that student wasn’t capable before even testing her) but when I took the English test, I scored higher so my skills placed me in the 2nd level bilingual.
 me:  That's interesting. Why did you sense she did not like you? Was this second grade teacher a general ed teacher or a bilingual teacher?
 Participant Z:  I remember one time she accused me of cheating (was this accusation immediately direct and or in front of other studnets?) And made a snarky remark about how my parents were both teachers. (1st example of her not liking the fact that her parents were teachers) My 3rd and 4th were great. It was ...
she was a bilingual teacher
3rd and 4th were also within the bilingual prog but they actually did not speak english
 me:  Accused you of cheating? So it was clear at that point that your theory of her not liking you was probably true
 Participant Z:  yeah, and if I had cheated and had gotten caught, yeah it would have sucked and all but at the age, to be accused of it and you didn't do it...it sticks with you. If funny how i remeber that but not other things (recalled info from such a long time ago; negative experience stuck with her)
 Sent at 1:46 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Well, it definitely impacted you. What was the end result with this teacher? Did she figure out that her accusation was false and did she apologize? How did your relationship with her impact the remainder of the year?
 Sent at 1:48 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  She didn't believe me. So we had these spelling test on a weekly basis I think, so I was practicing one word that i kept getting wrong, and I wrote it on a paper like 5 times to practice and then i crumbled it and put it in my desk. Those desk that you can put stuff under them. And mine was a mess. I mean full of books, papers, pencils etc...they were all a mess. Anyways I did that one day and forgot about it. The day of the test we were done or almost done and she walks by and says whats the paper? and I was like idk...I didn't remember it had been days before. So she took it opened it and was like oh so you cheated? and I was no, that was old. (didn’t want to make it a point to hear student out; let her own feeling cloud her judgment) And I think she called my mom, but thank god she believed me. And when I told my mom what she said about them being teachers I remeber she didn't like it. It was something along he line of "oh look you're cheating and your parents are teachers (2nd example of teacher not liking that student had teachers for parents. Perhaps she felt like she was getting “special treatment?) I didn't feel comfortable from there on. I don't remember anything else as dramatic as that but I was glad when the year was over
 Sent at 1:53 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Well, I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm sure as an adult now and the fact that you're going to become a teacher, you could look back and say "well I would of handled that differently"
Do you remember this teachers ethnicity background?
 Participant Z:  she was hispanic. Either puerto rican or cuban. (teacher was of Hispanic race as well- what was the issue?)
 Sent at 1:56 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Interesting... . Do you remember any other negative experiences you've had with a teacher that stuck with you as this one?
 Sent at 1:59 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  Ummmm let me think....I know that my 5th grade teacher made comments to the class that I still remember bc somehow I felt like he was talking about me.(another experience of feeling like the teacher was talking about her and or didn’t like her- what was provoking it?) This was the year that I moved from Perth Amboy to Highland Park (move from towns was more difficult than move from countries) At HP there wasn't a bilingual program so i was put into a general ed classroom. So he would say things like, some of you don't belong in this class.(teacher not welcoming of different students being placed in his general ed class) There were 4 5th grade classes, I guess they were group a certain way, idk, i'm not sure, but he said that from time to time. Then he would say stuff like next year, I will make sure that those of you that don't belong in this group (assuming they are not good enough to be there) get moved and surprise suprise, I wasn't with that class the following year. (how did teacher manage to “push out all the students he didn’t want? What was his reasoning/evidence in supporting his claims?)
 Sent at 2:04 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  Looking back there were some smart people in the classroom, but obviously i placed in there too. I just again, felt like he didn't like me.(has these feeling a lot) And that was a tough year from me, i had just moved towns, my parents had separated the year before  and I know that it would have helped to have a more encouraging teacher. He did me a favor in a sense bc my main teacher in 6th grade rocked
she was the opposite of him. WIth him i felt like I couldn't or wasn't even capable of doing a good job but with her, she was so encouraging that i went above and beyond (teachers encouragement allowed student to go above and beyond on her own)
 Sent at 2:07 PM on Wednesday
 me:  So your making your negative experience into a positive, that's always good. Why do you feel like these teachers didn't like you or were making comments about you? Were you self conscious about anything?
 Sent at 2:10 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  in 2nd grade, idk, i mean i was new to this country. I'm guessing that because my parents pushed so hard to put me into her classroom, she didn't like that. I mean, most of the other student's parents were not, idk how to say this without it sounding bad bc i don't mean it like that but they were educated. My parents were so they spoke up and I know for a fact she was the one who liked to give the orders. (teacher probably didn’t experience any parents speaking up before and took it out on student from the beginning) I think that carried over into me. As for my 5th grade teacher....
 Sent at 2:12 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  ....i don't know if that was a race thing. I mean he was white, and it was a mainly white town. I was probably the only hispanic in that classroom (reason student felt like he didn’t like her and or a target in terms of speaking about her with comments) although there were indian, Chinese and blacks. I actually just remember something, he had mentioned that his wife was a teacher in perth amboy (large Hispanic population) and how "different" and "bad" the kids (making assumptions that bc they are Hispanic and from that town, it made them ALL bad kids) were. For that one I really do think the race factor played into it to some degree. And its not like I could be making it up as projecting bc I had teacher before and after him that never made me think about my race compared to them or others
 Sent at 2:15 PM on Wednesday
 me:  That's interesting! It's amazing how you remember those little things that just don't sit well with you. Let's get talking about some happy stuff, shall we? Do you recall any stories about any teachers throughout your whole schooling career that have made an impact on your life and for what reasons?
 Sent at 2:18 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  its funny how the bad things are the ones that stick with you more than the good
ummm
 Sent at 2:23 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  well my 6th grade teacher, I loved, she was so caring and encouraging like I said. It was a sharp difference. In highschool I also remember my english teacher who was the person that really made me fall in love with english. (how did this teacher make such a big impact?) I actually read the books for her class lol, and her comments focused on the good that was on the paper as oppose to the mistakes or what was missing. She was warm, positive and inviting. Then there was my chemistry teacher. She was a tough teacher and not because she wasn't nice but bc she had high standards of us and we had to meet them. She didn't lower the bar for anymore. (treated all students fairly) For example, you knew that if you didn't do your hw that was it. You got a zero. There was not chance of having an excuse and it was fair. You got upset but only with yourself.
 Sent at 2:26 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Well, she seemed tough and fair!
Tell me a little about college life- have you ever felt as though a teacher was unfair to you?
 Sent at 2:34 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  ummm...i honestly cant think of any unfair experiences in college. I've studied at Rutgers, at MCC and at Kean but no, i think i've always gotten what I put in. There have been times where I have gone and talked to a professor about a grade or a paper that I felt that I did better than they thought, but I guess because I am older and I have learned to speak up for myself, I can articulate my thoughts and feelings.
 me:  Did those conversations or conferences go well with those teachers?
 Participant Z:  When I was young, I didn't know how....I just got hurt and upset but wasn't able to speak up and say something like I want to talk about this, or that bothered me, or I dont like it when you say this, or what do you mean by saying that etc/.. (is it appropriate for students in elementary school to express their feeling of being hurt or are they supposed to just “get taught”)
 Sent at 2:40 PM on Wednesday
 me:  What have you noticed about teacher/student interactions?
 Participant Z:  yeah because its a respectful conversation. I mean they can tell me that my work sucks as long as they tell me why. (college prof. able to support claims with evidence- how do teachers in elementary school do so? )
teacher/student interaction in what sense? now or before?
 Sent at 2:43 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Both- how would you describe  the diversity amongst the classrooms you've been in and how would you describe the way the teachers/professors interact with students
 Sent at 2:45 PM on Wednesday
 Participant Z:  well that depends on the teacher. Like I said, I've had teachers that said things or did things that made the interaction uncomfortable for me, and Ive had teacher and professors that have treated me with respect and when younger with kindness. The thing is teachers and still humans, and as humans, I think we judge others. Now I think good teachers know how to put all the bs aside and look at their role and impact on that child's life. If you think about the effects of your words and actions on all your students, than teachers would most likely not cause bad memories on their students. You have to look at all students as equals with the same capabilities to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment