Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Blog 11- Intro to paper



Introduction
            All throughout our years of schooling, we get the opportunity to be taught by many different educators. Either positive or negative, each teacher consists of creating a chapter in our book. Together, it makes a story of each milestone we’ve accomplished from our days of Elementary School to our College graduation. I myself have my own book with chapters from each teacher whom I’ve had both positive and negative experiences with; till this day, I will never forget them. As a future educator, these experiences have shaped me into the teacher I wish to become.
            So what makes us have negative experiences with teachers? My curious mind has always wondered if these negative experiences are really an underlying bias. Although several people may have different interpretations of this, what is bias? A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment; an unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice; a statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over other. (freedictionary.com) It is evident that there are endless examples of what shape and form bias can be. In this particular case, I have been curious about ethnicity bias and how/if it affected the student and teacher.
             Using the article, “Bias in the Classroom: Types, Frequencies, and Responses” by Guy A. Boysen and David L. Vogel along with data collected from interviews conducted with a college student and Professor; I hope to answer the question, “Can teachers understand when they are being bias?” I will include sufficient data collected to support this research question from both interviews with the teacher and student. For methods, I will use the data to discuss the differences in interviews, the obstacles I faced, and why this occurred. The categories of analysis will include evasions, easy answers (premeditated responses), and processing (in depth thinking about questions/unsure how to answer). In discussions, I will distinguish the conversation challenges and comfort level between both participants. Lastly, in connections; I will connect the challenges of speaking/admitting bias. With this, I will unveil the similarities in both interviews in terms of realizing that bias does not “stem” from one particular reason. It is clear that its human nature and apart of society to be bias against something.

No comments:

Post a Comment