Sunday, September 22, 2013

BLOG 3

Hello, everyone!

For blog 3, we were all asked to post our ethnographic notes on our in class event that took place. Let's see if I can reenact for you what I took from this experience.

Observations:  

When everyone first got up from their seats, it was really awkward. You could feel the tension from everyone and we all had the same look on our faces; "what are we supposed to be doing right now?" As Dr. Chandler made her way around the room and pushed all of us into conversation, it became even more awkward. Now, we had a different look on our faces; "What are we supposed to talk about?" Once everyone started talking about anything, everyone's body language became more relaxed and the awkwardness that was once there was now fading out.

Headnotes: 

As I began conversation with classmates, my eyes began to wonder around the room. The first thing I was looking at was people's clothing. I kind of had an idea of who came from work and who was casual. I was trying to keep my conversation with classmates going, but also ease drop onto other people's conversations at the same time! I heard conversations going on about majors, engagement rings, and so on. Dr. Chandler looked more pleased with us by the look of her face. It went from quiet and awkward to loudness and laughing.

Jottings:

The things that I jotted down was the classmates that I had the pleasure of speaking with. They were Carolina, Eli, Tanaera, and Jaleel. Carolina was the first person I wondered too when this all  began. We giggled in the beginning at how uncomfortable everyone was at first. We began by talking about my job where I work for a franchised private school as a teacher. That sparked the next topic of our majors and the rest of the conversation was at ease. There was a group of 3-4 girls next to us where one was talking about her job and how it takes couples three months to pick an engagement ring (that's a long time if you ask me... is it bad that I already know what I want mine to look like) Carolina and I kind of joined their group briefly. Short after, I moved on. Eli and Jaleel were in a group together where I walked over and joined in. Jaleel was eager to show me his shirt and how "he really liked the color." After I giggled, I looked to my right where I saw Tanaera standing alone with her head down. Before I left the boys, I made a comment out loud about going to talk to the "lawyer." I knew she aspirations of being one during class discussion where she got upset about the "lawyer jokes." Don't worry Tanaera, you're going to be a great lawyer! Within seconds of approaching her, she said, "you smell lovely!" I laughed thinking she was getting ready to say I smelled like the chips I had just ate minutes before. When Dr. Chandler heard that, she "yelled" at me for eating in the computer lab... She means business guys. Thereafter, it was time to wrap up our discussions! Well, that wasn't so bad!

Things I remembered later:

The only minor thing I seemed to remember later was being able to put a name to a face as I am writing this blog. This is a good thing since I now am getting familiar with my classmates!

No comments:

Post a Comment